If you’re a small business owner looking to start your online presence, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure it benefits your business and helps it grow.
As a marketing agency specialising in working with small businesses, we see the same problems faced by small business owners time and time again when it comes to building a strong online presence. That’s why we decided to make a checklist of the most important aspects of a small business’ website; so you can rest assured you haven’t missed anything essential to making your business’ website a success.
1. A good domain name
When it comes to making a new website, the first task is deciding what it will be called. Choosing a good domain name should be based on a few important factors such as being SEO friendly, catchy and easy to remember. For a more in depth look at this topic, take a look at our other blog post; 8 tips on how to pick a domain name for your website.
2. Good design & user experience
When it comes to making a successful website, it all comes down to being first found, then chosen. Being found comes down to SEO (which we’ll take a look at next), whilst being chosen comes down to intelligent design.
Your website’s design should instantly tell anyone landing on your website what your business is all about and give a feel of the brand. It should draw in new customers with its eye-catching aesthetics and then keep them around to find out more with its great user experience. For more tips on how to make an awesome website design for your business, check out our 10 web design tips for a small business.
Looking for some help with a new website design for your small business? Let us know. We specialise in web design and SEO optimisation for small businesses. Check out our case studies to see how we’ve helped other businesses like yours and get in touch with any questions. We’re here to help!
3. Optimised for SEO
If you want your website to actually be seen by anyone, you’ll need to optimise it for SEO. The front and back end should be optimised at the time of creation, so make sure your developer plans to include it as part of your website build. SEO is a website must have and should not be skipped under any circumstances!
Since a great website with no SEO can’t be found by people searching for the products and/or services your business provides, it’s important to make sure that whoever you choose to work with to build your website plans on doing this crucial step. SEO should include
- SEO in your domain. Considering what would be beneficial in terms of SEO in your domain name could be including keywords and/or the location of your business (if it makes sense to). For example; www.cleaninginclapham.com will, of course, help your website be found by people searching for cleaning services in Clapham.
- Optimising your website for SEO on the front and back end. By the “front end”, we mean everything that people can see on your website, while the “back end” is everything you can’t see. Both ends should be optimised with keywords relevant to your business to allow it to appear in search results.
- Include keywords on every page. This is an easy one to check for right now. If you can’t see your keywords on every page of your website, it probably hasn’t been optimised. If you’re not sure, drop us a line and we’ll send you an SEO report of your website completely free of charge.
- FAQs. Including FAQs on your website strengthens your SEO, improves visibility and boosts your Google ranking.
- Link building. By registering your website on other high authority websites, it gains recognition with Google and gives your website a quick boost up the rankings.
At Mamma Marketing, we have specialised teams who focus on the above points to ensure your business’ website features in the top three of Google search results for its targeted keywords, so that it can be discovered online, then chosen amongst the competition.
Feel free to check out some of our case studies of fully optimised websites we’ve built for other businesses that have led to them experiencing a significant increase in traffic, new customers discovering their website and ultimately, sales.
Want to find out what we can do to help your business grow online? Get in touch and we’ll take a look at your website and do a 20 minute consultation with you (free of charge) to discuss how we can help.